Thursday 24 July 2014

Completed avocet...

While I was cutting out the avocet I was looking around at my studio space, and glimpsed the screen for well...screen printing. (The looking around does explain why I managed to stab myself three times though!)
 So I decided straight away I was going to combine both screen and lino printing for this avocet.

I love the texture you get from screen printing, it comes out with such an even and smooth finish it's great. However, on paper, I prefer to screen print with acrylic paint. It's always been my preferred paint, it's just so simple to use, it mixes very easily and dries quickly with a lovely finish.
 However I think lino printing, especially with quite fine lines, can come out with quite a rustic finish, especially when it's all pulled by hand.

So, I went for a blue background to start with...I printed about seven but while the screen printing all came out spot on, the lino prints did not. So in the end I got four I am happy with...



(The colour only looks slightly different on these because of the light in the room, they're actually really uniform)

So I've decided while getting four out of the prints using that colour, I thought it would look quite good with a vibrant yellow background, but then I also thought a green may look good. 
 I am undecided. I do know I don't want to create too many with this design, maybe just four more of one other colour. I am happy with the avocet shape though, I love it's simplicity.

 Two of these avocets have gone already, so if you fancy one I've got them for £25 unframed on my Etsy shop. (Free delivery to UK)

I'm always thinking of things I can do next, so I think I might have a go with some Oyster Catchers. They can always be heard making their loud squeaky noise outside my house, and I think they're quite stunning birds with their bright yellow beaks and legs. Going to do something a bit different with that design though...


No comments:

Post a Comment