Monday 28 July 2014

A tidy and some new stuff...

This is the beginning of week three of my summer holidays...I don't really feel as though I have been massively productive. Which is probably a bit silly considering I have managed to get three different prints done, as well as that all important relaxing time!

I've also thought a little bit about the future (not majorly)...but mainly because I had a day the other day when I just felt very bored (I ran out of art supplies, so that probably didn't help). But you'll have had one of those days I'm sure; you want to go out and do something but just can't seem to muster the motivation so just end up spending all day sitting on your arse, but ultimately by the end of the day you just feel worse. Sound familiar?
 It's actually quite easy to fall into the trap of those kinds of days, especially when there's no work.
 So I got thinking, I'm 26 with not a great deal of disposable income at the moment (that's code for none!), people I know are either at work, or can generally afford to go out at do things, husband is busy writing up his PhD thesis...so I can quite easily wake up in the holidays with literally nothing to do, and nowhere to go. So that's why I got thinking...and after a trip to the RNLI open day down on our local Fish Quay last weekend I met some people with a vision that after thinking about it I decided to put myself forward for; to give myself something to do in the holidays other than paint/print/eat/be bored etc...

I am going to volunteer at The Net. Basically, The Net is to be a new heritage centre on my local Fish Quay in the old Low Light building. For a long time now I have been interested in local history, I think it just started with staring at those beautiful black and white photos of life gone by...but it is something I enjoy learning about, and love getting into conversations with people who know things about where I live that I don't.
 The Fish Quay is around a 10-15 minute walk from my house, with a lovely walk along the river, so figured I could offer my time! I could get involved, I could learn something myself, and help create a link with the school I work at as well...then it means in school holidays I have no excuse to say I am bored right? Well...that's my plan anyway!
 They open in September, so looking forward to getting my teeth into something else! And for anyone reading this who happens to live near by and might fancy taking part, I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from you. Check out their website!

That is pretty much my plan for the near future (I did say it wasn't major...sorry!)

So...back to the present I guess! My new art supplies have arrived!!


It may not look like much, but new linoleum and printing ink means I can get started on some of my new designs! 
  If you're interested I get my supplies from Great Art. They have a great selection for all sorts of creative enterprises and the prices are reasonable...however I would say spend over £40 otherwise delivery is quite expensive...and I hate paying delivery charges.


Anyway, I decided to use the lack of supplies as an opportunity to tidy up my studio (The delivery man just arrived today).
  As you can see, I don't have the best sort of light to work in. While it's bright enough it doesn't compare at all to having natural light poring through. Thankfully with the lino printing and the bright acrylics I tend to use, it doesn't effect my work. I do long for a nice sunny studio though...



 Right well, I have my supplies and a tidy studio...not sure what I'm waiting for!

No comments:

Post a Comment