Wednesday 6 August 2014

Turning Stones and Printing Hands... (sort of)

Yesterday I spent pretty much all day in my studio. I should have checked the weather forecast as it was a very rainy day today so that would have been a better day.

Anyway, despite all that, I really enjoyed myself! Took a drawing of some stoneturns I did the other day and turned them into a limited run of just three prints...not sure how I feel about them at the moment if I'm honest. I consider all my work modern in style, but for some reason this print to me looks modern in a strange way! I will put a photo up later and you can let me know what you think.
 I guess it's all about experimentation thought isn't it?

From the drawing I got these three little stoneturns:



I really like how the linocuts turned out, just not so sure on the print...I will get back to you with that though.

Another thing I decided to create is this...


To be honest, it only took about 10 minutes to carve. But I thought it would be nice to make something like that to put on the back of mounted prints or packaging.
 I don't pretend to have loads of fancy art equipment, I don't have any printing presses or fancy lino tools (yet- the nice lino tools are on my wish list) but I am quite proud of doing everything by hand, from the drawing of my design in sketch books to the desperately hoping the ink will come out nicely on the paper when I'm crouched on the floor, forcing the lino down (Who said art was elegant eh?!), but I thought something like this might just add another little element to my work. I really quite like it!
 I was thinking I should have maybe created a roller with the words 'Curious Seagull' inside...hmmm.

I also played around with a few ideas of other things I can put my prints onto, I don't think I want to make cards, but that's probably because I'm not really a card person myself. But I love those plain little linen carrier bags and think they look great with a simple but bold print on them, so I thought I may give that a go. 

 I had one to spare from something I did a good while back, and while I don't have the appropriate ink, I still decided just to ink up the last guillemot lino I did just out of curiosity...



Not the best photo (sorry) but I quite like the effect of the ink on the fabric. So think this might be a good idea - not this print of course, I am thinking just bag specific prints. So...I shall let you know how that stem of thought goes.

 I also thought it might be quite cool to do prints on super plain cushion covers, I even thought tea-towels may be a possibility...but to be honest that's where my train of thought ended.
 If you happen to have any ideas; please feel free to share! I will acknowledge you for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment