Saturday 13 September 2014

North Shields, herring and filming...

These last two weeks have been interesting time wise...while I've been at work teaching (at the school up the road from me) time has gone quite slowly but has tired me out...but then on an evening and at the weekend time has just flown by.

 It generally takes me a couple of weeks after the summer holidays to feel settled again. I only started in the school I'm at now in March, and they've changed a lot for this academic year anyway, so I think there's a lot to get my head around!

Not feeling as exhausted and overwhelmed as I was at the end of last week though which is good!!

Monday just gone, my husband Matt and I headed down to the North Shields Fish Quay, it's only a 2 minute drive away (about a 15 minute walk but we were feeling lazy and had both just gotten back from work)
 Basically it was an opportunity to have a look around the freshly rejuvenated Old Low Light building right on the river. This is where The Net heritage centre will be...they're open this weekend for English Heritage weekend, but then won't be officially open until the end of September. 


This one is just from the entrance...not a particularly impressive photo, but that balcony on the top floor gets a fantastic view...


The top room (complete with balcony) is going to be available for hire as well pretty soon...Would be a lovely spot for a celebration.  Not that I have anything to have a party about coming up, but I will happily be a guest to something!! 

So, I am feeling a lot more relaxed now when it comes to my work that is. But that means I have time to create!! And to continue with my herring linocut which I am determined to get finished pretty soon- maybe even this weekend.

I am writing this while taking a lunch break, but this is where I was up to just before I came upstairs...


Half way there!! Well, more than half way there if you include the fact that I've already carved out the background.


A little close up. So yes...I think I can get this finished quite soon...my back and shoulders are a little sore as it's been about a fortnight now since I was able to really have a good go at it, but I'm sure it will loosen up soon!

I thought I would film a little bit as well, just incase you're interested you can see how the process works...


Tried using Instagram's Hyperlapse again. I really like it, it's really simple to use. But I think the videos must use quite a lot of the memory as I tried to film the cutting out of the whole fish, and about half way through it stopped filming saying I have ran out of space...so this one is just a little snippet. I might try and sort out out soon where it films the whole thing...don't worry, I'll speed that one up too!

Right...need to go back to carving those herring...remind me not to do an A3 linocut for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment